case study five – Retail Self Service training
Supporting the introduction and rollout of the Self Service checkout solution in ASDA
ASDA were among the first retailers in the UK to introduce self-service checkouts into their stores and we were with them, on this journey of discovery, from the beginning.
They required a training partner who could design, develop and deliver a training course in order to support the introduction of this service into their organisation.
- To design, develop and deliver an effective training course to support the introduction of Self-Service Checkouts, into ASDA stores.
- To support store colleagues in putting their new skills into practice once the new checkout solution had gone live.
What We Did
We designed a face to face course which was a mixture of classroom trainer led training, involving demonstrations on the self-service tills, trainee practise, group discussion and role plays, all of which would mirror the real-life experience of the shop floor.
The training was designed to be interactive and enjoyable, aimed at motivating and enthusing the colleagues to ensure the successful introduction of the new checkout solution. The training covered the following: –
- The technicality of self-service checkouts including hardware, software, maintenance and troubleshooting
- The customer and host journey – How to effectively deal with interventions
- Behaviours – How to overcome objections, coach customers and guide them through the change
- SHRINK and Security – How to prevent any possible causes of loss through the new tills.
- Increasing usage and effectively managing queues.
We also supported the colleagues during the crucial first days of going live with the service, which involved observing, coaching and motivating the colleagues.
Having the support of our trainers ensured that the colleagues could put into practice their newly learnt technical and behavioural skills, safe in the knowledge that there was someone there to coach and assist.
ASDA were thrilled with our results and the feedback given by both store colleagues and managers.
We supported ASDA in implementing a self-service solution into the majority of their stores within the UK using our experienced 60+ strong training team. The success of our training and support within these stores enabled us to build a long lasting and strong relationship with ASDA, which has now spanned over 15 years.
ASDA continue to use our experience and support on other projects within their organisation including on their new Scan & Go Mobile checkout solution.
Case Study One – Tesco Scan as you Shop
Case Study Two – Tesco Smart Cash Management
Case Study Three – Tesco ‘Work and Pay’ Change Project
Case Study Four – Costa Express Self Service Coffee Machine Training
Case Study Six – Morrisons Innovative Checkout Solution
Share Case Study